BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Night at the Museum

My trip to the Museum of Natural History was a fun, little adventure. When I had been in elementary school I had gone there on a field trip. So basically, the entire time I was there this time, I was trying to remember things from the last time I had been there. It didn’t work, which is okay because if I had, I probably would have rushed the trip and not learned what I did learned.

The reason that I chose to go to the Museum of Natural History was because my family had an annual membership there. My sister had her birthday party there and my parents bought a membership to save money. This means that we can all get in there for free and in the effort of saving money, I decided to do my field trip for free.

As I walked into the Museum of Natural History, I immediately noticed the glass cases at the front of the museum. Some of the artifacts were interesting and I looked at them for a little while, but I never read the little plaques that they held. I then went into the room on the left hand side of the front desk. This was the area of the museum where they had their ancient man and Native American exhibits. Of all the areas in the entire museum, this was probably my least favorite. I’ve always respected my forebearers and I think it is really amazing and cool that they could survive the rough conditions of the untamed world. At the same time however, I find the exact details of how and why they were able to do this a bit dull. That’s why I rarely read any of the plaques in this section of the museum.

My next stop in the museum was the animal life section. This area was slightly more interesting and I read a lot of the plaques. This area also partly extended upstairs and to the right. However, because my preschool sister, Silly(name has been changed), was there, she found this spot to be the least interesting and put a time restraint on being there. Outside of that display is where I found my favorite exhibit on the first floor. It was a little, old-fashioned telephone booth which you could go into, pick up the telephone, and hear nature sounds through the phone. My sister and I enjoyed it a lot.

Next we went upstairs to where my favorite part of the museum was. In the Rocks and Minerals section they had a gigantic, glass case in which there must have been a million billion rocks and minerals. They then explained the formation of rocks, what minerals were, and how to tell a rock from a mineral. They even showed you the atomic patterns of the different rocks and minerals. My all time favorite part of the museum was the decay meter where you pressed a button over different rocks and it spat out a static sound. The static sound would tell you the decay rate of a rock!

The next section that I went to had all the prehistoric dinosaur stuff, along with the creation of the world and Earth’s history. This was especially interesting because of the fact that we just learned most of this in science class. After looking through this section, I decided that I had seen enough and after a brief stop at the gift shop (where I bought nothing whatsoever) I decided to go home. Even though I enjoyed this museum, I probably won’t enjoy going there again until I forget everything about it for the second time.

0 comments: