BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Infamous "Flu"...with a little Bubonic Plague.

I just never seem to get better. A week ago I had "The Black Plague" (actually, it was Shingles)... this week I have Influenza. As a result, I've completely given up any hope of being a total optimist(which I wasn't ever all that good at anyway because I was always too skeptical.) Instead, I figure that I should continue down the much more effective role of sarcastic optimist. That way my disappointment will hopefully be less disappointing...but who knows? Anyway, my week has been terrible. I hereby state that if you want to be freezing and burning to the extreme at the exact same time, you should get the "Flu". If it doesn't kill you first, you'll find out just how miserable that experience is. So, if any of you start feeling really bad about this time, you might want to go see your local doctor and maybe book a spot for yourself at the morgue...O.K., it isn't that bad. Not that any of you at school should worry about catching it at school. I knew it was possible that I would get it because my brother had it, so I distanced myself and warned most everybody. See, I DO care! Anyway, since I've got nothing better to lecture you on, I might as well "knowledgify" you all on Influenza.

O.K., so the flu dates back two thousand four hundred years, maybe even longer, in Italy. The Italians, known at that time as the Hippocrates, were the first ever to recognize the symptoms of the "Flu", and named it Influence, which has since changed to Influenza. However, the first proven epidemic of the flu was in the 1500's. It started from Asia and came from there to Europe. The next major flu epidemic was dated in the late 1800's and titled as the "Russian Flu". Unfortuanely, next to nothing is known about it, other than approximately 1 million people died. This lack of information was likely due to a lack of organization in Russia at the time.

The next "Flu" epidemic was the infamous "Spanish Flu", which was by far the most deadly of all the flu epidemics. It was dated at 1918-1919, right smack dab at the end of World War I. The close quarters of the soldiers and the intercontinental transporting of troops provided a perfect spreading opportunity for the virus. It killed approximately 25 million people in its first 25 weeks and overall killed 50-100 million more people. This was a very strange flu epidemic. Not only did it have an unusually high death toll among its victims, but it seemed to spread exceedingly fast and was more contagious than other strains. It also had hemorrhagic properties. This version of Influenza hit almost every part of the globe and equaled the death toll of the Bubonic Plague. Although Influenza didn't kill 90% of everyone who got it like the Bubonic Plague did, Influenza had a much longer period where a person did not yet shown symptoms but was already contagious. This allowed for a all together larger number of people to get it over a much longer time. The Bubonic Plague however, killed its victims so fast that as soon as it reached Europe's boundaries, there weren't enough masses of people to keep it alive.

Anyway, I hope you learned something about Influenza and didn't fall asleep! So, get a flu shot before the flu spreads to you. At least wash your hands a lot.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The Black Plague was such a strange disease, be grateful that you didn't live in that time period!

Scientists have concluded that the Black Plague was started by infected fleas biting rats, and then those rats turning around and biting people. It's insane how much technology has improved! Sadly enough if you had been living a few hundred years ago you might have died from that flu that you contracted! Scary thought!

Alanham3Physics said...

Good golly! You must have a terribly weak immune system. You should take some airborne!:D

Lots of Keys said...

OH OH OH!!! I feel like educating the public on something I learned about the flu from when I did my research paper last year!!!(It was the spanish flu!!!)

Okayyyyy the reason the spanish flu hit every part of the globe was because it was at the end of world war one. You know, the time when everyone who has the disease was going back home. So because there were so many countries who were fighting in the war that caused the disease to be more widespread! Also, trade had a lot to do with the spread of it. You know, mice and all that stuff.

And the disease itself generally isn't what ends up killing people who die as a result of this disease. It's a disease that they get after they have the flu. The flu weakens their immune system and that leaves them all alone to fight the evil bronchitis!!!

And an interesting little fact is that the deaths that came from the spanish flu pandemic was larger than the amount of deaths from all the wars recorded in history combined!

There's a chance that some of this information is wrong... I haven't looked at the paper for about a year... So yeah...

Lots of Keys said...

Oh yeah!!! Another thing I felt like saying, is that the spanish flu left as quickly as it came. It practically disappeared from the face of the Earth.

Brain said...

From what I know, everything about that was right...except that death count at the end. I believe that World War II had a higher death count...maybe even the civil war, too.

Also, instead of Bronchitis, it was also usually pneumonia that actually killed the victim.

Lots of Keys said...

Well you can't expect me to remember everything that was on my paper, hahaha. I'm pretty sure that the civil war and world war II didn't have a higher death rate, but I may be wrong. Who knows.

Brain said...

You are. I just looked it up. The spanish flu killed just a little more than 50 million. WWII however, killed more than 60 million people. You were right about the civil war though. The Civil War's casualty rate was only 1 million.