BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Nutcracker

My little sister who is eight is in The Nutcracker. For those of you who don't know what The Nutcracker is, it is a ballet dance story, made a long time ago in the days of Tchaikovsky. This production was done by Clytie Adams School of Ballet. So yesterday, Friday, I went and saw her in it. She was one of the little cupcakes that go out, do a little dance and then go off stage. If you were there, you would only see her once and for only about five minutes. I didn't actually think that The Nutcracker performance was going to be all that great, but the more that I sat there and watched the dancers dance and all the little kids doing their parts, the more I proved myself wrong. The amount of work that they put into The Nutcracker astounded me and the skill of some of those dancers was really awesome. They brought in professional dancers for the lead parts who they got from Ballet West. I had originally gone to the performance to support my sister and not because I had cared about it, but I am now really glad that I went. The other reason that I went was because my parents told me I had to be more cultured.

My sister was in the second half of the show. She has been going to the rehearsal for two months now so it was really great to see all that hard work pay off. Every parent of a dancer was required to participate in some way to help prepare for the show. There were several committees of parents: props, communication, costumes, hair and make-up (my mom did this one), boutique, and more. All in all, I thought that the second half of the show was kinda boring compared tho the first. All that they had in the second half was a bunch of dances with, in my opinion very little story line. In the first half though, they had a great story line and overall better dancing. So now I think I will go through the highlights of the show.

The Top 3 Highlights of the show:

  1. First scene- At the very beginning they show Uncle Drosselmeyer packaging up a bunch of toys for the party. The Nephew comes in and is trying to peak at what he is doing but at the same time trying to remain inconspicuous. (This is one of those moments where it just isn't the same when retold.)
  2. Fight scene- When the soldiers come and do a dance reenactment of a big battle. To all you blood thirsty maniacs, who are becoming more and more common in the world today, you would be very disappointed by this scene. But to anyone else, this was a great scene.
  3. The Dance of the Cupcakes-This was the particular scene that my sister was in. She was dressed up in a costume that didn't look remotely like a cupcake but it was still okay. It was shiny pink and purple. She was one of the highlights of The Nutcracker because she is my sister. She did a great job. And I'm a great brother (I think).

2 comments:

Shanda Lier said...

Hip hip hooray! I was in the Nutcracker too and I'm glad somebody appreciates it. I saw your sister, she was mega cute!

Border Walker said...

I have never seen the Nutcracker. Except once when I was very young, and at that it was only a cartoon.